All the breaking news and latest world news from The Guardian, with Twitter search trends.
Étienne Davignon, 93, was last living person targeted in investigation into assassination of DRC’s first PM, Patrice Lumumba
A 93-year-old Belgian former diplomat who became the first person to be charged in the murder of the Congolese leader Patrice Lumumba has died
...Pandemic report warns of growing global threat as health teams in Africa move to contain Ebola outbreak
The world is becoming less resilient to outbreaks of infectious diseases, experts have warned, as health authorities in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda scramble to contain an outbreak of Ebola.
...US president calls Abu-Bilal al-Minuki ‘most active terrorist in the world’ and says he was eliminated in ‘very complex mission’
Donald Trump has said US and Nigerian forces killed the “second in command” global leader of the Islamic State.
“Tonight, at my direction, brave American forces and the Armed Forces of Nigeria flawlessly executed a meticulously planned and very complex
...Uganda also reports outbreak and health officials say cases were caused by Bundibugyo strain of virus
An outbreak of Ebola has killed 65 people in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, health officials said.
There have been 246 suspected cases of the haemorrhagic fever reported so far in the conflict-hit
...Army supported by Russian mercenaries launches airstrikes after offensive by coalition of Islamist extremists and Tuareg separatists
Mali’s armed forces, supported by Russian mercenaries, have launched airstrikes targeting a rebel alliance of Islamist extremists and Tuareg separatists as the ruling junta struggles to maintain its hold on power in the unstable west African
...Mexican president Claudia Sheinbaum denies any links between her Morena party and organized crime
Pressure is mounting on Claudia Sheinbaum, Mexico’s president, after two former top officials from the country’s Sinaloa state – both members of her Morena party – ...
Cuba’s president, Miguel Díaz-Canel, says any US strike would be catastrophic after reports of 300+ drones
Cuba’s president, Miguel Díaz-Canel, has warned that any US military action against his country would lead to a “bloodbath” with incalculable consequences for regional peace and stability.
“Cuba does not represent a threat,” Díaz-Canel said in a post on X.
...Mayor’s attempt to beautify the city with murals of mascot and plum paint jobs criticised as waste of resources
The giant purple axolotl peered up at Manuel Martínez from the black bitumen of the street. It was the second such painting of the rare amphibian he had walked past that morning. In recent weeks he had seen ...
Civilians left increasingly exposed as a dangerous new front opens up in the country’s decades-old conflict
As night fell over southern Colombia, and a group of children began their weekly Tuesday football match, a drone appeared overhead.
The children looked up, and the drone dropped a grenade, its blast killing a
...Four months after Trump’s surprise raid, a political thaw has descended – but mingled with hope is trepidation for what comes next
When Ángel Linares heard a strange buzz followed by an explosion, his first thought was that neighbours were setting off fireworks to celebrate the new year.
Then his windows shattered, the building’s walls shook and its facade was ripped off, sending
...