South China Morning Post

All the breaking news and latest world news from South China Morning Post, with Twitter and Facebook search trends.

 

Twitter Search News Trending

 

 

 

 

 

Facebook Search News Trending

 

 

 

All the latest breaking news from Hong Kong, China and around the world
News - South China Morning Post
  1. Congressional reaction to US President Donald Trump’s visit to China highlighted how sharply Washington’s political consensus on Beijing has shifted in recent years, with lawmakers from both parties warning against any perceived softening of US support for Taiwan or broader strategic competition with China. While Democrats criticised Trump for appearing too accommodating towards Beijing, many...
  2. A British court sentenced a Polish lorry driver to more than 13 years in prison for smuggling £7 million (US$9.4 million) worth of cocaine in a shipment of underwear and clothing from Skims, Kim Kardashian’s shapewear brand, authorities said on Monday. The National Crime Agency (NCA) said Jakub Jan Konkel, 40, was driving a vehicle carrying 28 pallets of Skims clothing from the Netherlands when...
  3. US prosecutors asked a judge on Monday to dismiss criminal fraud and conspiracy charges against Indian billionaire Gautaum Adani, who had been accused of duping investors in a major solar project in India. Adani, one of the world’s richest people, was accused in 2024 of paying massive bribes to ensure the project’s success. He was charged with conspiracy, securities fraud and wire fraud charges...
  4. Belarus said on Monday its armed forces had begun training exercises involving Russian nuclear weapons, in a move that drew strong condemnation from Ukraine. Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko agreed in 2023 – a year after Russia’s ‌invasion of Ukraine – to host Russian tactical nuclear missiles. Russian President Vladimir Putin has made clear that Moscow retains control of their...
  5. Hong Kong’s Hospital Authority will begin using standard prefixes for telephone numbers to make it easier for people to recognise its calls rather than avoiding them due to scammers and advertisers. Starting next Tuesday, all phone calls made by the authority, which oversees public medical facilities, will display a unified caller ID number beginning with 18285 or 18286. Each authority unit will...
  6. [The content of this article has been produced by our advertising partner.] As Hong Kong pushes towards carbon neutrality by 2050, the Construction Industry Council (CIC) is using its Sustainable Construction Award to drive faster progress in the construction industry. Applications for the 2026 edition close on June 18. Key new elements include a dedicated Low Carbon Citation, mandatory joint...
  7. [The content of this article has been produced by our advertising partner.] Ronald Lu & Partners (RLP Asia) has won first prize of the Urban Renewal Authority (URA) and Hong Kong Institute of Architects (HKIA) Urban Renewal Design Ideas Competition in the District Study for Yau Ma Tei and Mong Kok (YMDS).  The competition invited cross-disciplinary professional teams to apply the new planning...
  8. US President Donald Trump might now “more clearly” understand that the US “cannot defeat China” but that it must instead engage a stronger Beijing, according to a prominent Chinese political scientist. Zheng Yongnian, an adviser to the Chinese government, also noted that Beijing had taken a “central position” in trilateral ties between China, the United States and Russia. Beijing and Moscow both...
  9. Pope Leo and the co-founder of artificial intelligence company Anthropic will launch the pontiff’s first encyclical on May 25, a document on the care of human dignity in the era of AI, the Vatican said on Monday. An encyclical is an official letter from the pope to Roman Catholic bishops, usually to make a statement on official teachings. The presence of Anthropic’s Christopher Olah at the...
  10. A licensing scheme allowing dogs into Hong Kong restaurants has attracted strong initial interest, with 70 per cent of the 1,000-place quota filled on the first day, according to food hygiene authorities. In response to inquiries from the South China Morning Post, the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department said on Monday it had received about 700 applications by 6pm. The application window...